Saturday 12 February 2011

American Blueberry and Lemon Pancakes

I came across this recipe for American blueberry pancakes on BBC Good Food and added my own little twist with a bit of lemon juice.  You can find the original recipe here.  With pancake day and valentines day coming up you could cook your other half breakfast in bed...or you could just eat them yourself! :-)

The recipe below makes 10 pancakes and believe me 5 each is more than enough - I couldn't finish mine but they were absolutely delicious! To make the pancakes you'll need:
  • 200g self raising flour
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 300ml milk
  • 1 pack of blueberries
  • 1 lemon
  • small knob of butter
  • honey for drizzling
In a bowl mix the dry ingredients - the self raising flour and baking powder.  In a separate bowl add the egg, milk and the juice from half a lemon and whisk together. 


Make a well in the middle of the flour/baking powder and add the wet ingredients - I don't have a mixing bowl at the moment so I used a pan to combine the two.  Then whisk together and create a thick batter.  Melt a knob of butter and then add this to the batter, then beat until its all mixed together.

Add half of the blueberries to the mix and stir gently.  At this stage you could add any fruit you liked really - raspberries, raisins etc but the blueberries are gorgeous.



Melt a little butter or oil in a non stick frying pan.  Take a large tablespoon (or in my case I found a serving spoon worked well) and pour a spoon full of the mixture into the pan.  Depending on how big your pan is you can cook 3 or 4 at a time.  Cook the pancakes for 2 or 3 minutes on each side  - I found that once the mixture started to look like it was cooking on the top side and little bubbles were starting to appear then it was time to turn.



When the pancakes are cooked stack them on a plate and sprinkle the rest of the blueberries on. Squirt a little bit of lemon juice over the top then drizzle some honey all over the plate and tuck in!!


2 comments:

  1. Those look scrumptious! I wonder if this recipe would convert with using gluten-free flour? I know that the milk and butter never pose a problem switching out, but sometimes her flours give me issues. Will have to try it and see:)
    Just an idea, you may want to enroll your blog in FoodieBlog Roll. It's an interesting site with tons of food blogs. The link is on my site if your interested (http://allergiesandceliac.blogspot.com/)
    Again, these look really tasty:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, let me know how it goes with using the gluten free flour, my mum recently found out she is intolerant to gluten so she's learning what to avoid and looking for new recipes and this would be nice to make her for breakfast when she is visiting. I'll check that link out, thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...