Sunday 27 February 2011

Mum's Spaghetti Bolognaise

As my last post was about a dish I first made when I was young, I thought I would blog about the other dish that I first learnt to cook when I was younger - my mum's spaghetti bolognaise.  It was also the very first dish I cooked for my other half and he has been hooked on it ever since.  Everyone I know has a slightly different way of making bolognaise but my mum is a great cook and her bolognaise is delicious so this is my favourite method!

To make this dish for 2 people you'll need:
  • 250g lean mince beef
  • 6 button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/2 red pepper, diced - optional (I used it on this occasion as I had one that needed using up)
  • 1 400g tin cherry tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes)
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley (or fresh if you have it)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil (or fresh if you have it)
  • 1 Beef Oxo cube
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper
In a frying pan add the olive oil, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Fry gently over a low heat until softened. 

Add the mince and fry until brown.  Once brown, crumble a beef oxo cube over the mince and the vegetables and mix together.


Add the tinned tomatoes, ketchup, tomato paste, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, basil and parsley.  Mix together and then season with salt and pepper. 

Simmer over a low heat for around 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened and reduced a little.  Check for seasoning and then serve with some pasta of your choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...